周年大選黑箱作業事件相關文獻(66)

Message from Dean of Student Affairs
Dear Students,

I refer to a press statement issued on March 8, 2013 by Mr. Tam Chun Sing. I would like to state my position as follows:

1. In my roles as Dean of Student Affairs and Director of General Education, I strictly adhere to the principle that I should not have any stance on or interfere with the internal affairs of student bodies including The Hong Kong University Students' Union (HKUSU). In my interaction with different student parties, I always listen to views from them, and uphold impartiality and fairness. When I handle contentious issues such as politics, religion, etc., I also strictly follow the principle of openness and make sure students can benefit from balanced views and diversity. I always try to make my best efforts to facilitate the communication and co-operation between students and other members of the University, and provide a constructive platform for campus life of the students. 

2. The principles and practices stated above also apply to the recent debate relating to the governance of the HKUSU. On one hand, some of the Councilors have been in contact with me since late February regarding various matters of HKUSU. On the other hand, we have made every effort to communicate with Mr. Tam who handed two letters to CEDARS on February 22 and 25, 2013 (dated February 19 and 21 respectively). Since February 23, my colleagues and I have made multiple attempts to contact Mr. Tam to set up a meeting. So far we have not been successful.

3. Over the last two weeks, many students and colleagues have made enquiries to me and my colleagues in CEDARS regarding how they should handle certain matters that staff and HKUSU have to work together. Given the current debate, my colleagues and I have not been able to provide any definite suggestion to them. There is indeed a very urgent and practical concern that the University needs to take the necessary reasonable steps to ensure campus life of the students is not disrupted.

4. All along, the University has respected the independence and autonomy of HKUSU. We have hoped that all the parties concerned can resolve the relevant issues in an amicable manner, and that campus life of the students will not be disrupted.

5. On March 4, we received a request from 30 students, including members of the HKUSU Council. They sought the University's assistance because they had not been able to resolve the issue of the use of the HKUSU portal account. As free flow of information is very important for student bodies, a portal account was opened and provided to these members of the HKUSU Council on March 5.

6. The University has adopted a Privacy Policy Statement and implemented the Code of Practice in respect of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance. These documents also govern the handling of student data. I have strictly observed them, and not used any student data for any purpose outside my duties.

I am prepared to attend any public meeting or forum together with any student to explain my position and work with regard to the above or any other matters related to student affairs. If you have any question, please contact me on dosa@hku.hk. 

May I wish you a very relaxing and fruitful Reading Week.

With very best regards,

Albert Chau
Dean of Student Affairs &
Director of General Education

沒有留言:

張貼留言